Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionWhat happened in the London Bridge attack?

A man who stabbed two people to death and wounded three others in a “terror-related” attack was shot dead by police on London Bridge after he was held down by members of the public.

The suspect, Usman Khan, 28, had been released from jail on licence in 2018, half way through a 16-year sentence for terrorism offences.

He was convicted in 2012 after plotting with a group from Stoke-on-Trent, London and Cardiff.

A property said to be his home in Wolverhampton Road, Stafford, is being searched by police.

NHS England said one person was in a critical but stable condition, a second victim was described as stable and a third person had less serious injuries.

Image copyright

Image caption

House being searched by police in Wolverhampton Road, Stafford

What happened?

The attack began at 13:58 GMT on Friday at Fishmongers’ Hall, at the north end of London Bridge, where a conference on prisoner rehabilitation was taking place. Khan was attending.

It started inside the building before proceeding on to London Bridge, where Khan was held down by members of the public before he was shot by police.

Two men can be seen in a video holding the attacker back using a whale tusk, seized from a wall mount, and a fire extinguisher spray, before others step in to pin him down. One man was seen walking away holding a large knife they had retrieved.

A separate video has also emerged showing police officers aiming guns at a white lorry that jack-knifed on the bridge.

What do we know about the attacker?

Image copyright
West Midlands Police

Image caption

Usman Khan, 28, was jailed in 2012 over a plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange

Met Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said Khan was released from prison in December 2018.

He had been jailed for plotting to blow up the London Stock Exchange.

He and three men from Cardiff, had discussed attacking the London Stock Exchange, pubs in Stoke and, separately, setting up a jihadist training camp in Pakistan.

The conspiracy developed over six weeks in late 2010, before the police arrested Khan and the others, their court case in 2012 was told.

Khan was one of three of the men initially given indeterminate sentences for their part in the plot. The sentences were revised on appeal.

Image copyright
West Midlands Police

Image caption

Usman Khan (fourth from the left), pictured with his accomplices in Roath Park, Cardiff on 7 November 2010

The Parole Board said it had no involvement in his release from jail.

The Metropolitan Police said Khan had been living in Stafford, where searches were being carried out on Saturday.

He was wearing what is thought to have been a hoax explosive device when he was shot.

Whitehall officials told BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner the police action was spontaneous and reactive and was not intelligence-led.

Read more

Image copyright
PA Media

Image caption

The suspect man was shot dead by police

What have police said?

Met Police assistant commissioner Neil Basu confirmed the force was treating it as a terrorist incident.

The attack began at a criminal justice event called Learning Together at Fishmongers’ Hall and the Met is appealing for people attending the conference to contact them.

A wide police cordon would remain in the area for some time as police carry out searches “to ensure there is no further threat”, he said.

Where did it happen?

A number of buildings near the bridge, including King’s College London and the News UK building opposite the Shard, were put into lockdown.

Image copyright
Alexander Carr

Image caption

Three people were wounded. One of them is critically ill in hospital

Image caption

A wide police cordon remains in the area as police carry out searches in the area

door lock repair

Source link

Leave a reply